Friday, March 29, 2013

so easy you can't say no

I liked this article about motivating yourself to exercise when you don't feel like it.


The author suggests making the first part of your work-out routine so easy you can't say no. This is some 5-star advice, y'all. 

My current work-out routine starts a lil sumpin like this:

1. Put on work-out clothes. (easy)
2. Choose a playlist on my computer. (sometimes easy)
3. Set an alarm on my phone for 15 minutes. (easy)
4. Stretch. (easy)
5. Leave house for a run. (easier than it was 17 minutes ago)

This is not rocket surgery, but the music is key for me and so is the time restriction/ structure on the stretching.

If I've started the clock, and I start futzing around (eg - texting someone; looking up who's birthday it is on facebook; wondering what I would say to Bob Dylan if I ever met him; wondering whether I would even actually want to meet Bob Dylan; changing directions and wondering what I would want to ask Pete Seeger about if I met him; thinking about how nice and awesome Pete Seeger seems; wondering what this blog post was about...) I come back to stretching, because otherwise I'm cheating myself out of that day's meager 15 minutes of stretching. And stretching feels good. And it's easy. So I don't say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment